Tuesday, January 3, 2017

2017 Está Aqui!

​¡Hola Familia!

Felíz Año Nuevo! There were a bunch of loud fireworks in Jamiltepec on New Year´s Eve and I actually stayed up past midnight! Hahah the reason is because on Friday, the first counselor of the rama told us that Elder Noh were speaking in church this Sunday and I only had time to prepare at the end of the day on Saturday. But its all good because my talk went well! I talked about families. I was still reading the whole time but it was about 10 minutes! This week there were a bunch of fiestas and markets in Jamiltepec so it was difficult to find and teach people this week, but it was a good week nonetheless and we still made something of it.

Tuesday and Thursday, Elder Noh and I taught some great lessons to a new investigator family. It´s been really cool becuase it all started with a street contact with one young man and now we are teaching him, his older brother, and his two younger sisters together! The lesson on Thursdsay was particularly interesting because we were teaching them at the same time that missioanries of a different faith were teaching their parents about the ´Restoration´ of their own church hahaha. Awkward! It´s funny how I had never seen Jehovah´s Witnesses or missionaries of other religions in my life before my mission. But now I see them in Jamiltepec all the time! Anyway, it´s all good because the kids really like us and we´re hoping this week to get their parents to join us in the discusions. We think the father might only speak Mixteco so we are inviting a member of the rama who speaks Mixteco to join us too.

Another funny thing that happened this week is that somehow, a beehive had grown on one of the fans in the Casa de Oración in one week, so after church, Elder Noh hit it down with a broom and I got the funniest video of it! I´ll send a link with the video.

Part of this week, I was feeling a little discouraged because even though my spanish is a whole lot better than when I arrived, there´s still moments with some of the people in Jamiltepec where I have to really struggle to only pick out a fraction of what they say. Sometimes when we´re working in the area, it´s hard to see my improvement and it can be humbling. Especially when you get asked to give a blessing in spanish when you´ve never given one in english before. But then, when we go to Pinotepa each week for district meeting and I have the opportunity to talk in Spanish with the other missionaries in the zone, I realize just how fast my spanish really is improving! And the Elders are always quick to tell me so which is really motivating! By the way, I can give a blessing in Spanish now haha ;)

I can´t believe it´s already 2017! Time is flying! I´m already half-way done with my training! I´m so excited for what´s to come in this new year. I will become fluent in spanish and hopefully lose the rest of the weight I gained in the CCM hahaha! It´s always fun to make resolutions and work towards them. I hope you´re all making goals to improve yourselves and strengthen your relationships with our Heavenly Father! Keep emailing me and telling me about your lives, I love reading emails!


Love,
Elder Tucker

One of the kids of a recent convert with face paint


Año Viejo at Juan Merino's, the man with one leg, house

Another view of Jamiltepec

Our battle with the bees at our church house.  

Drinking out of a coconut at a member's house Sunday 
Some pics from Playa Corralero which we visited last week. Miles and miles of beautiful, clean beaches with no hotels and hardly any people.






No comments:

Post a Comment