Thursday, November 17, 2016

El Campo Misional: Jamiltepec, Oaxaca

¡Hola Familia!

I have a lot to say and not a whole lot of time to say it so I'll do my best. I have finally arrived in my first assigned area in the mission field, Jamiltepec!

After meeting mission President Ávila and his wife and receiving some training in Cuernavaca, I was assigned with Elder Noh from Yucatan. He is 19 years old and is the district leader. He also doesn't speak any English, but he is so patient and hardworking. I have already learned so much from him.

We then stayed a night in La Casa para Visitantes with 15 other missionaries, some of them new and some old.

Tuesday, we took a 4-hour bus ride to Acapulco and then a 6-hour bus ride to Pinotepa. Pinotepa is very hot and humid. The roads are very hilly and not very well maintained, but the people are so friendly! There we spent the next two nights at our zone leaders' house with our entire zone and the assistants to the president, 12 Elders in all. 9 out of the 12 were Latinos. I hear the mission is about half gringo-half latino but I'm not sure.

Wednesday, we received some training from the APs and went contacting and visiting less-active members as companionships. Contacting, by the way, is introducing yourself to random people on the street and trying to set up discussions with them. We actually found 3 new investigators my first day contacting. I'm so grateful for the people here because they are so easy to talk to and they listen to what we have to say. All of this was a great experience because although my Spanish isn't very good and I can't understand people, I felt like a missionary and that I am doing the Lord's work. The language will come soon enough.

Today after personal and companionship study, Elder Noh and I took another hour-long van ride to Jamiltepec. Jamiltepec is a smaller town than Pinotepa. There is no church building here, only what they call a Casa de Oración. I have to let you know more about that after Sunday. The weather is much cooler here and our apartment is very big and nice! Other than that, there's a lot more for me to find out.

I am completely immersed in the language, but I am honestly very happy. It's good work out here and I know they need me. Missions are very humbling work. I still need to get batteries for my camera but I will do that today.

¡Tengo gozo en mi alma hoy!

Love,
Elder Tucker

3 comments:

  1. Los pueblitos Mexicanos son los mejores ! La gente es muy amable. Keep up the posts and great attitude Elder Tucker

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are now on an adventure of a life time! The Spanish will come. I love reading your detailed positive letters! Keep working hard and look for the blessings. Know many are praying for you. Thank you for serving the Lord!

    ReplyDelete
  3. We love to hear about your adventures in Mexico! I noticed your address is in Morelos. Do you live there or is that the address to the mission home? My great-grandmother is buried in Morelos, and I have been trying to get someone to come with me so that I can visit her grave. Elder Contreras' grandparents said that they would! Tell us more about the area. I know that Morelos and Oaxaca are both Mormon Colonies where families like the Romneys, Eyrings, and MacDonalds (my family) settled. Keep up the good work!

    ReplyDelete